Thursday, October 20, 2011

Democracy is about YOU!

I am running because democracy is not something that happens one day every several years, and the winner does not "take all".

Democracy is an obligation on the part of those elected to represent all of the people, to listen (without whining about too many emails or phone calls which happen when people feel they aren't heard), to have an open mind and to question their own reasoning and assumptions. This is what makes us accountable.

I have an obligation to make sure I do not run up the borrowing and debt causing our community to become unaffordable for those who live here. I have an obligation to stand up and speak out even if I am the only voice.

I have an obligation to do my best to communicate and listen, to encourage and include and inspire.

Central Saanich needs people who will sign their names to the motions they've put forward and voted on (it's called transparency).

Central Saanich needs people who will uphold the people's document, the Official Community Plan.

Central Saanich needs people who understand that what we do here affects people far beyond our borders.

No comments: